Monday, February 27, 2012

Lent

Hi everyone. So it's the first week of Lent and we are trying our best to give up sodas and fast food. Even though I usually only have one soda per day, it's hard for me to give them up because I crave that sweet fizzy stuff! It's my afternoon pick-me-up...so I'm going to have to find a replacement, or better yet just drink MORE WATER!! I've brought lemons to work with me hoping that will tempt me to drink more, and so far it's working. We don't eat a lot of fast food, but I admit that we will fall victim to it at least once a week when I just really don't feel like cooking or we are in a hurry. I'm going to have to plan ahead in order to make this work, but I feel up to the challenge! I am also going to try to have more patience with people during this Lenten season, especially with Nate. He pushes every button he possibly can, so this will be hard for me, but I'm going to try. Praying more should help my blood pressure during these situations!!

Most of you know I am going through classes to become Catholic. DJ and I have been going to classes every Tuesday night for about 7 months now, and I have 6 weeks left! DJ is my sponsor, and they provide daycare for Nate so it works out for all of us and this whole experience has been awesome. Yesterday I got to meet the Bishop, it was so cool! There were like 11 churches all represented at a service yesterday called the Rite of Election where the Bishop welcomes us into the initiation process...it was a PACKED HOUSE!! I was amazed at how many people are taking these classes just in the Fort Worth Diocese, and this was only part of the Diocese! It was really cool to see so many people wanting to be closer to God and making this important step in their journey. I won't bore you all with the details, but I really enjoyed the experience yesterday and truly look forward to the Easter Vigil when I get to be Confirmed and take the Eucharist (communion) and will finally be a real member of the Catholic church. I'm so excited to be sharing this experience with DJ too, it has really brought us closer as a couple. Since I am learning so much about the Catholic faith, this year Lent means a lot more to me because it is really all about people like me...people who are seeking to know more about God and want to be better people, better Christians. Lent is not just the 40 days when you give up something you love and wait for Easter to come around...it is a time for penitance, to ask for forgiveness, to live a better and more Christian life...to examine your life and find things you truly want to change within yourself. I need more patience, this is not a secret! So I am going to take advantage of this Lenten season and TRY to exercise more patience in every situation. Good luck to all of you with your Lenten challenges. I hope you use this time to become closer to God. Have a blessed week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment