Monday, June 27, 2011

Ups and Downs

The Vargas family had a weekend full of ups and downs this past weekend. First, we had a short but VERY nice visit with DJ's brother Rene, his wife Angela, and the girls Amie and Jamie. They came to Arlington to watch a Rangers game and stayed Friday night with us. We had dinner at our favorite Mexican food place, then they went to the game. After they got back from the game, we played Dance Central on DJ's new Kinect (Father's Day gift) and made fools of ourselves...it was AWESOME! Then we had a huge breakfast before they left early in the afternoon. It was so sweet, Nate didn't want his Uncle Rene to leave, he wouldn't go to anyone else, and cried when I finally had to take him away so he could get in the truck! It was really cute.

DJ and Nate and I then spent the rest of the afternoon cleaning and playing around the apartment. Then we got the call from my mom. She was already crying when she told DJ the news, and he looked at me with a very sympathetic face while handing me the phone. He said "Marvin is gone". I couldn't believe it. "Nooooo, he's not....no!" I yelled before taking the phone. I proceeded to whimper and cry while talking to my mom who was doing the same. We knew he was old and wouldn't live forever, but this was too soon...he wasn't even sick! My poor Dad, I just kept thinking, poor Dad!! What is he going to do now? It was a very sad evening.

For those of you who did not know Marvin, he was my puppy in college when I was in my first apartment. I had two roommates at the time, and this rambunctious and overly energetic basset hound was not fit for the apartment he was living in with us. After he chewed up a couple different comforters in my bedroom, plus a ton of other stuff, I decided he needed a yard and room to stretch out and hunt animals...just be a dog. My parents were so nice to take him in and have been taking care of him ever since. He hasn't been my dog since he arrived in Amarillo. He was my Dad's best bud and source of entertainment for the last 10 years and it is so hard to imagine life in Amarillo without him. :(

Some other updates: Jenni, Brian and Davis have moved to The Woodlands. We are excited for them to have this new opportunity and we know that this is the best place for them. But we will all really miss them and will miss having all of us sisters so close in proximity. We will just have to do more traveling to visit them now. :) Davis turned 9 this month...can anyone believe this?? I know I can't! He just loves baseball and is such a smart young man. We will miss going to his baseball games, but I'm sure we'll catch one or two in the future!

Ramsey turned 6 this past Saturday! She truly is the princess of the family...being the only girl will do that to you! We are all so proud of her. She is so sweet and loving, and she absolutely LOVES Baby Nate!! Happy Birthday, Ramsey!!

Earlier this month Lori and my friend Michele and I participated in the Komen Race for the Cure in honor of our friend Renee Sendelbach. She is a friend of mine from high school who is battling breast cancer for the 2nd time now...and it's a fight she is GOING TO WIN!!! It was such a great experience to be with so many people who were all walking/running for someone they loved who battled cancer. Very touching and humbling, and I can't wait to do it again next year!

Alright, that's all I can do for now. I'll try to update more frequently. Love to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment